You love your pets. We love pets. Life can be stressful enough without our pets getting sick or hurt. For that reason, we want to remind you of some things to help keep your furry family members safe during the upcoming holiday season (and all year around).
Some foods can be toxic to pets. Foods to avoid giving to pets:
- Onions, garlic
- Macadamia nuts, almonds, pistachios
- Anything with xylitol (often in candy, gum, and in some peanut butter)
- Although not toxic, cooked bones (especially from turkey and chicken) can splinter and cause injuries or blockages
Plants that can be toxic to pets:
Keep these plants up out of the pet’s reach
Many pets are very curious and try to eat things that they shouldn’t. Be careful of pine needles, ribbons, string, and tinsel used in decorations. Eating these could lead to intestinal blockages.
If you have a pet who is known for trying to bolt out the door, ID tags are a great idea. Tags with your name and phone number make it easy for anyone who may find your pet to get in touch with you.
Although candles can help add a cozy atmosphere from the light and aromas, they can be dangerous. Keep lit candles up out of the reach of your furry friends. The flame and hot wax could cause burns. No one wants to see an excited tail wag lead to a fire.
Holidays give many people a reason to set off fireworks. Many dogs get very distressed over the loud noise of fireworks. I have spent many New Year’s Eves with my dog huddled next to the recliner or hiding in a dark, quiet place in the house. If your dog dislikes fireworks, or you are not sure, it is best to keep them in as calm a location in your house as possible. Closed curtains with a radio or TV to add some distracting noise can help. If the dog has to go out, be sure to supervise them and even better, put them on a leash.
Happy holidays from the owners and staff at Pine Creek Pet Resort. We hope everyone is able to stay healthy and happy. We look forward to seeing you the next time you board your pet(s) with us.
Some related articles: